BEFA Offers Flight Training
BEFA offers flight training at many levels for new pilots, as well as for pilots seeking to improve their skills. BEFA’s instructors range from test pilots, airline captains and engineers to full time flight instructors. Instructors don’t work for BEFA, they’re independent contractors who work for you so you can make sure to find someone who fits your learning style and availability needs. Our Flight Instructors are qualified to instruct for the following airman certificates, ratings, endorsements and specialty training:
As a student pilot, you’ll start out learning in one of our Cessna 172s or our Cessna 150. Our instructor will take you through all the phases of learning to fly from pre-solo to preparing for your checkride.
You’ll also tap into our most senior instructors for phase checks that add structure to your training and make sure that you are ready to safely progress through the training process.
As a BEFA member, you’ll have access to any aircraft that you’re checked out to fly in. BEFA has two ways of ensuring the safety of our operations: initial aircraft checkouts and six-month currency requirements.
As a rated pilot you’ll need a separate initial checkout for each different model of aircraft that you want to fly. You’ll work with an instructor who will guide you through ground study and several flights to make sure you’re comfortable with the systems, handling characteristics, and any quirks for every plane.
After your initial checkout, you’ll need to undertake a currency flight at least every six months. You don’t need a six-month currency flight in every model you’re checked out in. A flight in a 182RG, for example, refreshes your currency for our fleet of 172s. Consult the checkride matrix for details.
FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Center
BEFA in Renton is an approved PSI Testing Center where you can take FAA written exams. The member’s cost is $130 and applied to the member’s account.
Testing is available 6 days a week with tests starting time:
Monday through Friday 10:30 am – 1 pm
Saturday 9 am – 1 pm
Call the BEFA Office (425) 271-2332 to schedule your test.
• Current Government-issued photo ID with date of birth, signature, and current physical residential address [no PO Box}. If not a U.S. citizen, also bring a current passport.
• Acceptable document showing current address is as follows: utility bill, mortgage statement, vehicle registration, homeowner or renter insurance, property tax bill.
• Logbook endorsement or certificate of graduation (if applicable)
• To receive a $10 discount for having AOPA membership, provide AOPA membership number.
• If retaking exam, bring previous original test report signed by an instructor.
Nonmembers are welcome to take the FAA written exam at BEFA. Test fee is $160 and payment is by credit card.